- Prayer connects us to God and God’s power. Changes take place when we pray. Sometimes the issue is transformed, at other times we are the ones changed. Either way, God’s power is at work.
- Prayer is a way of sharing our burden. Some problems are difficult to share with another human being. The issue may involve deep guilt or shame, making it difficult to confide in a friend. In such cases, prayer can help ease the burden.
- Prayer puts into words what troubles us. No difficulty can be resolved until it is identified and articulated.
- Prayer reduces feelings of helplessness. Rather than feeling as though life is out of control, when we pray, we take the first step in reclaiming our lives and putting order into chaos.
- Prayer is a powerful reminder that we are not alone. Life’s troubles often leave us feeling isolated, lonely, and vulnerable. Prayer reminds us that we are not facing difficulty alone.
- Prayer generates courage. We become strengthened, and more confident as a result of prayer.
- Prayer provides us with a sense of direction. Rather than merely being tossed about on life’s sea, we receive insight, guidance, and direction from prayer.
As a young woman our founder Mary Sumner took a special interest in women and their families. When she started meeting with mothers of her parish in 1876 Mary wrote the first Mothers’ Union prayer. Her words are still an inspiration for us today.
The Mary Sumner Prayer
All this day,
O Lord, let me touch as many lives as possible for thee
and every life I touch, do thou by thy spirit quicken,
whether through the word I speak,
the prayer I breathe, or the life I live.
The current prayer, like the original, focuses on the real concerns and needs of women throughout the world. As you use it, both in your personal worship and as part of your collective prayer times, apply it to your own local situation as well as to the wider work of Mothers’ Union worldwide.
The Mothers’ Union Prayer
We thank you for your love so freely given to us all.
We pray for families around the world.
Bless the work of the Mothers’ Union as we seek to share your love
through the encouragement,strengthening and support of marriage and family life.
Empowered by your Spirit, may we be united in prayer and worship,
and in love and service reach out as your hands across the world.
In Jesus’ name. Amen